OVERVIEW AND QUALIFICATIONS
The NAUI Familiarization-Instruction-Testing (FIT) program is a non-certification program required as a prerequisite for enrollment in a NAUI Assistant Instructor Course, NAUI Divemaster Course or a NAUI Instructor Crossover Course (ICC). The program includes both instruction and evaluation. Enrollees receive the information needed to prepare for NAUI membership and NAUI leadership training. Participants are given knowledge, water skill and other performance evaluations, critiques and counseling to ensure they are aware of their state of preparedness for NAUI membership and continued leadership training. Upon completion of the NAUI FIT Program, each participant will receive a written summary of staff recommendations regarding their readiness for leadership training. It is the responsibility of the individual participant to use this and other knowledge gained in deciding when to enter a NAUI leadership course. Any number of NAUI FITs may be attended if re-evaluation of preparedness is desired. Candidates will receive a NAUI FIT Graduate recognition card that can be renewed annually by payment of the NAUI FIT Registration Fee.
- Leadership Attendance. Provided all other leadership prerequisites are met, current NAUI FIT graduates who are registered with NAUI may attend a NAUI Assistant Instructor Course, Divemaster Course or Instructor Crossover Course. Other agency leaders who are NAUI FIT graduates may attend a NAUI Instructor Training Course. NAUI FIT graduates are encouraged to attend their anticipated leadership course within the one-year timeframe of completing their respective courses when possible.
Age. Minimum age is 18 years of age prior to the start of training.
- Certification/Experience/Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
o Certified as a NAUI Scuba Diver or the equivalent.
o Certification as a NAUI Rescue Scuba Diver or the equivalent.
o Certified as a NAUI Nitrox Diver or equivalent.
o Certified as a NAUI Master Scuba diver or equivalent.
o Certified in NAUI First Aid for Dive Professionals or equivalent.
o Certified in NAUI Oxygen Provider or equivalent.
o A minimum of 25 logged open water scuba dives with a minimum of 12.5 hours bottom time.
Dives shall be varied in environment, depth, and activities.
o Other agency leaders who meet all prerequisites may attend a NAUI FIT Program.
o The instructor is to ensure adequate student knowledge and capability before any open water training and shall use skill or other evaluations to do so.
- Equipment. Candidates shall furnish and be responsible for the care and maintenance of their own diving equipment. The instructor shall initially assist candidates in checking all their gear to ensure it is adequate and in proper working order.
- Materials. Contact the NAUI Training Department for current requirements.
- Medical Approval. Verification of good physical condition as documented by a medical examination and unconditional approval for diving by a licensed physician within the preceding 12 months. In no event will medical approval be accepted wherein the physician signing the certificate is the student.